How to #mapioCymru ! This is how to begin:
- Go to openstreetmap.org
- Register a user name by using your email, facebook or Google account etc.
- Start using openstreetmap.org under your username & start mapping!
Adding a Welsh language name
Let’s say that you’d like to add the Welsh language version of a street name, e.g. Heol Y Prior in ‘Caerfyrddin’ [Carmarthen!].
- Click the ‘Search’ button in your OpenStreetMap window, and type in the place name in English.
- Then, click on the appropriate name on the list that will appear on the left-hand side of the screen (making sure that you click on the right kind of place; for instance ‘Residential Road’ in this example as it could be a street, town, area, etc). The item you’ve selected will appear in red, with all the information relating to it listed on the left, as is shown here:At the moment, this feature has no Welsh language name, so let’s go ahead and add it to the map!
- Click on the triangle next to the Edit button at the top of the page and select ‘Edit with iD (in-browser editor)’
- The map will appear as follows, with the feature that you’re editing flashing red:
- On the left-hand side of the screen, under ‘Name’, you’ll be able to see a small cross [or add sign symbol] ‘+’:
- When you click on the cross, additional dialogues will open.
- Start typing ‘Cymraeg’ [Welsh] in the first box, and then select ‘Cymraeg’ from the list that appears in blue.
- In the second box, write the correct Welsh language place name for the feature you’re editing.
- After making your edit, remember to press the ‘Save’ button at the top of the page.
- The website will ask for a ‘Changeset Comment’ where you should explain any changes you’ve made. This allows other users to see why you’ve made the change, so that they can verify it’s been done correctly.
- You can also add ‘Sources’.
- Press ‘Upload’ …!6.: Congratulations, you’ve contributed to our map! The new Welsh name will appear on OpenStreetMap.cymru once the new data set has been updated overnight (and we will do our little happy dance!)
- Please share your contribution to openstreetmap.cymru on openstreetmap.org via its social media function for facebook, twitter & Google+ , not forgetting our hashtag #mapioCymru !
- Many thanks for helping our #MapioCymru #Cymraeg2050 project, sponsored by the Welsh Government.